Of the classes I attended at the Pepperdine Bible Lectures this year, the ones most beneficial to my personal walk were those taught by Rick Atchley on Hearing from God. Here are my notes from those classes – there will be more to write about this topic later.
Rick Atchley – Hearing from God pt. 1
- Rick says it’s not his responsibility to hear God for us – he’d like to help us hear God for ourselves.
I. Central to God’s uniqueness is His spokenness (not simply His righteousness or holiness).
- God is a REVEALING God. This is different from other deities in other religions.
- Speechless idols” – the Bible highlights speech as a key difference between the real God and false gods.
- God created us to speak and to hear – this tells us about the type of relationship He wants to have with us.
- We have traditionally been taught that since the canon of scripture was complete God has given us the silent treatment.
- We have grown up in a church culture that says if you are a pray-er you are heard, but if you hear you are a weirdo.