Notes from Tim Spivey’s class – “The Word Made Flesh” – Friday, 8:30AM
- A lot of church consultants and resource people talk about “closing the back door of your church,” but if your church is functioning properly it will always have people who leave.
- Spiritually healthy people tend to leave unhealthy churches, spiritually unhealthy people tend to leave healthy churches.
- “The body is made to pass waste” (lol)
- The body has an immune system – when the immune system erodes, the body gets sick.
- “Nobody says cancer deserves a place in the body!”
- If a core person leaves – a person who helps form the spiritual backbone of your church – then something may be wrong with the health of your church. But if someone leaves who is uninvolved or is a constant complainer/troublemaker, then the body is simply functioning as it should.
- Moral: your church may need more fiber.
I only caught the tail end of this class (I actually showed up early for the class that was to be in that room next), but enjoyed what I heard. I’m not sure if those bullet points were part of his main lecture on “The Word Made Flesh,” or if he was saying those things in response to a question (I think he may have been answering a question).
Check out Tim’s review of the Pepperdine lectures. He’s right, the Pepperdine Lectures have no rival.
More notes from other classes coming in future posts.